Local organizations receive $30,800 in People Fund grants
Great Lakes Energy members who support the cooperative’s People Fund program made possible 12 grants to local community non-profit organizations.
The People Fund Board of Directors awarded a total of $30,800 in grants in June to the following non-profit organizations in northern Michigan.
- Top of Michigan Trails Council, Petoskey: $5,000 for furnishings for the Trail Center.
- Good Samaritan Family Services, Ellsworth: $2,000 for computer upgrades.
- The Manna Food Project, Harbor Springs: $5,000 for the Food 4 Kids Backpack Program.
- Crawford County Commission on Aging, Kalkaska: $3,000 for a commercial refrigerator.
- Otsego County Community Food Pantry, Gaylord: $5,000 for food for backpacks for students.
- Charlevoix Conservation District, Boyne City: $1,800 for tools and equipment for a beachgrass harvest program.
- Northern Michigan Antique Flywheelers Club, Walloon Lake: $2,500 for Student Harvest Days.
- Great Lakes Chamber Orchestra, Petoskey: $1,000 for educational outreach to schools and the Day for Strings program.
- C.S. Lewis Festival, Petoskey $1,000 for C.S. Lewis books for students.
- Otsego Habitat for Humanity, Gaylord: $2,000 for a flatbed trailer.
- Wolverine Joint Fire Board: $1,000 for a 9-1-1 sign project.
- Christ Child Society of Northern Michigan, Harbor Springs: $1,500 for diaper pantry stock.
The People Fund is supported by the voluntary contributions of Great Lakes Energy members who allow their electric cooperative to round up their bill each month to the next dollar.
More than $2.88 million in grants have been awarded since 1999 to charitable and community organizations throughout Great Lakes Energy’s 26-county service area, which stretches along the western side of Michigan.
“The average contribution to the People Fund is less than 50 cents per month,” says President/CEO Bill Scott. “It’s one of the easiest ways our members can show their commitment to local communities by rounding their bill to the nearest dollar.”
Non-profit organizations in the Great Lakes Energy service area can apply for a grant through the People Fund by calling Great Lakes Energy, 1-888-485-2537, ext. 1313. The next grant application deadline is Oct. 1.