Charlevoix County Sheriff reports

sheriff car web slider
Car crashes, phone scams and more in this week's roundup of Charlevoix County Sheriff Office news.

• On Wednesday Sept. 7, at approximately 12:00 p.m. the Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office responded to a one vehicle rollover accident on M-66 North near Ranney Road, in Eveline Township.
48 year old Karen Rutkowski of East Jordan lost control after overcorrecting while attempting to negotiate the curve in her 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Rutkowski was transported by Charlevoix City Ambulance to Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital where she was treated and released for minor injuries.


• On Friday Sept. 2, at approximately 1355 hours, the Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office, Boyne Valley EMS, Emmet County EMS, and Melrose Township Fire Department were dispatched to a two-vehicle personal injury accident on US-131 North near M-75 in Melrose Township.
A 2010 Ford Edge pulled out of a private drive and failed to yield to an oncoming 2012 GMC pickup truck traveling southbound on US-131 North. The GMC pickup was unable to avoid the collision and struck the ford Edge in the driver’s side rear door.
The two occupants of the Edge were transported to McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital via Emmet County EMS with minor injuries.
The driver of the pickup was not injured and refused transport to the hospital at the scene.
The passenger of the pickup was transported to McLaren via Boyne Valley EMS with minor injuries.
Two passengers in the rear seat of the pickup were not injured.
Alcohol was not a factor in the crash.

• On Sunday Sept. 4, at 2127, the Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office responded to a motorcycle personal injury traffic crash which occurred on Jaquay Road between Behling Road and Healey Road in Wilson Township.
The rider, a 46-year-old man from Boyne City, was riding his 2006 Harley Davidson motorcycle southbound on Jaquay Road when he lost control on the left-hand curve.
The motorcycle left the road to the left and struck a tree.
The man complained of a laceration to his face, and back pain.
He was transported to McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital by the Boyne City Ambulance.
He avoided more serious injuries by wearing a helmet.
Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the crash, which remains under investigation.
The sheriff’s office was assisted at the scene by the Boyne City Police Department, Boyne City Fire Department and Boyne City Ambulance.

• Charlevoix County Sheriff W. Don Schneider warns citizens of a telephone scam circulating in Charlevoix County, where the caller portrays a grandchild in trouble and needing a cash bond.
“We have had two separate victims who sent large amounts of funds or gift cards to pay for the bogus bond,” Schneider stated in the Sept. 6 news release. “The fraudulent callers know how to upset citizens, especially senior citizens, with emergency situations or embarrassing situations such as accidents, arrests, etc. After they have played on the citizen’s emotions, the caller will advise the amount of money it will take to help the family member, grandchild, etc.”
Please, do not give out any personal information over the telephone.
Do not send funds of any kind without checking with your local law enforcement.

• Sheriff Don Schneider reports on August 7, 2016 at approximately 6:30 p.m., the Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office responded to a single motorcycle personal injury accident on US 131 Northbound by Springvale Road in Melrose Township.
Josiah Westphal, age 18 of Petoskey, was traveling Northbound on US 131 on his 2005 Yamaha motorcycle when a pick-up truck pulled out in front of him also going Northbound. Westphal attempting to avoid collision with the backend of the pick-up, locked his brakes up and swerved to the right, causing the motorcycle to flip over. Westphal struck the pavement with his leftside.
Westphal was wearing a helmet at the time. The helmet sustained damage to the leftside as a result of the fall, which may have prevented serious injury.
Westphal was treated and released on-scene by Boyne Valley EMS.
Alcohol is not believed to be a factor in this accident.

• Sheriff W.D. (Don) Schneider reports on 08/03/2016 at approximately 4:42 p.m. the Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office responded to a personal injury accident. The crash occurred on M-66 Hwy. south near Elm Point, south of LaCroix Rd. Regina Lamb-Charest (61) of Charlevoix was traveling north in her 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lamb-Charest had to slow down for waterfowl in the roadway and her vehicle was rear ended by a 2016 Harley Davison Trike driven by Robert Helton (57) of East Jordan. After impact, Helton was ejected from his vehicle and struck the pavement. Helton stated he may have been distracted while looking at the lake. Helton was treated and transported to Munson Health Care of Charlevoix by East Jordan EMS for a laceration to the head and other injuries sustained in the crash. Helton was not wearing a helmet. East Jordan Fire assisted at the scene with patient care and traffic control.

• On August 26, 2016 at 12:49 hours, a call was made to 911 reporting a two-car accident that had multiple injuries near the intersection of US-31 and Burgess Road in Hayes Township.
The Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office, along with the Charlevoix Township Fire Department, Charlevoix City EMS, and Emmet EMS, responded to the scene.
The accident occurred when 18-year-old Charlevoix resident, Malcom Williams, rear-ended a vehicle driven by 26-year-old Alanson resident, Tabitha Sprague, who had her 48-year-old mother, Alanson resident Samantha Sprague, with her.
Sprague’s vehicle ran off the roadway, overturned, and then righted itself coming to rest against a large boulder inhibiting Samantha Sprague’s removal from the vehicle. First responders were able to move the vehicle off the boulder and free Samantha from the vehicle.
Both Samantha and Tabitha were taken to McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital for treatment. Malcom was transported to Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital for treatment.
Malcom had his two minor aged sisters as passengers in his vehicle, they were uninjured.
Occupants of both vehicles were wearing their seatbelts.