This exclusive feature is produced twice monthly for the Boyne City Gazette by sports writer Chris Graber.
• Kirsten Malpass (East Jordan 2015) captured a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 6 singles and teamed with Laura Fernandez for an 8-6 triumph at No. 3 doubles for the Lake Superior State University women’s tennis program (3-12) in a 6-3 triumph at Spring Arbor University (13-7) on March 30 in Spring Arbor. For the season, the freshman’s compiled a 3-3 overall record in singles play and a 4-10 mark in doubles action.
• Valorie Peters (East Jordan 2015) batted 2-for-4 with two RBIs at outfield for the Lansing Community College softball program (22-11) in a 9-3 victory at Ancilla College (10-15) on April 14 in Plymouth, Indiana.
For the season, the freshman’s totaled four runs scored, three RBIs and a .176 batting average.
• Chandler Novotny (Charlevoix 2014) is a redshirt freshman for Northwood University, which swept the field of 30 teams at the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional No. 4 on April 11 in Noblesville, Indiana.
MEN’S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• Tristan Rudolph (Charlevoix 2014) captured 13th in the 1,500-meter run at the Siena Heights University Don Kleinow Invitational with a time of 4:08.98 for Aquinas College on April 16 in Adrian.
The meet was not scored.
• Tevin Larmond (Boyne City 2013) is a junior at sprints for Spring Arbor University, which resumed competition at the Siena Heights University Don Kleinow Invitational on April 16 in Adrian.
In Larmond’s most recent effort, he placed ninth in the 200-meter dash (22.97 seconds) and 22nd in the 60-meter dash (7.24 seconds) at the Hillsdale College Wide Track Classic from Feb. 5-6 in Hillsdale.
• Luke Hawley (East Jordan 2012) returns as a senior at distance for Aquinas College, bringing the resume of a four-time qualifier to the NAIA National Track and Field Championships and personal bests in the 600-meter run and 800-meter run of 1:24.01 and 1:55.81, respectively.
• Andrew Plude (Charlevoix 2012) is a senior at distance for Saginaw Valley State University, which captured fifth among the field of six teams at the Hillsdale College Border Battle Invitational on April 16 in Hillsdale. In his most recent effort, he collected 19th in the 1,500-meter run at the 2015 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships with a time of 4:17.04.
• Nick Plude (Charlevoix 2015) is a freshman at distance for Saginaw Valley State University.
• Paige Hornbeck (Boyne City 2015) secured an appearance at outfield for Lansing Community College (22-11) in a 12-1 victory at Jackson College (8-16) on April 15 in Jackson.
For the season, the freshman’s tallied five RBIs, three runs scored, one triple and a .118 batting average.
• Paige Podskalny (East Jordan 2014) is a sophomore for Northwood University, which clinched fifth among the field of 19 teams at the NC4K College Classic from April 3-4 in Blacklick, Ohio.
From April 16-17, the Timberwolves resumed competition at the Walsh University Cavalier Classic in Canton, Ohio. Results were not available at the time of press.
WOMEN’S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• Molly Jeakle (Charlevoix 2012) ended 12th in the 1,500-meter run at the Louisville Invitational with a time of 4 minutes, 31.79 seconds for Michigan State University in a fourth-place finish among the field of six teams from April 15-16 in Louisville, Kentucky. Among the Big Ten Conference, the senior seeds No. 8 in the 5,000-meter run with a season-best time of 16:40.17.
• Kayla Keane (East Jordan 2015) collected 12th in the 3,000-meter run at the Duke University Battle of the Blues with a time of 10:05.22 for the No. 25 University of Michigan in a sweep of the field of three teams from April 1-2 in Durham, North Carolina.
• Amber Way (Charlevoix 2015) is a freshman at distance for Michigan State University.
In her most recent effort, she clinched the No. 7 performance at the NCAA Division I National Championships by placing 202nd on the 6,000-meter course with a time of 21:39.8 for the MSU women’s cross country program in a 13th-place finish among the field of 31 teams on Nov. 11, 2015.
• Kylie Hicks (Boyne City 2014) captured eighth in the 400-meter hurdles (1:06.28), 16th in the 110-meter hurdles (15.73 seconds) and 38th in the 200-meter dash (28.23 seconds) at the Oakland University Invitational for NCAA Division II No. 8 Grand Valley State University in a runner-up finish among the field of six teams on April 16 in Rochester.
From March 31-April 2, the sophomore ended eighth in the 400-meter hurdles (1:06.28) and 28th in the 400-meter dash (1:03.71) at the Eastern Illinois University Big Blue Classic in Charleston, Illinois.
• Kaleigh Beard (East Jordan 2012) is a senior at throws for Spring Arbor University, which resumed competition at the Siena Heights University Don Kleinow Invitational on April 16 in Adrian.
In her most recent performance, she finished 17th in the shot put (23 feet, 6.25 inches), 19th in the discus (81-7.25) and 22nd in the hammer throw (98-1.5) at the 2015 Crossroads League Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
• Caroline Boss (Charlevoix 2014) clinched runner-up with the 4×400-meter relay (4:07.67) and eighth in the 800-meter run (2:25.96) at the Siena Heights University Don Kleinow Invitational for Calvin College.
On April 9, the sophomore ended second in the 1,500-meter run (4:54.71) and fourth with the 4×400-meter relay (4:14.09) at the Millikin University Big Blue Invitational in Decatur, Illinois. The meets were not scored.