BY CHRIS GRABER, SPECIAL TO THE BOYNE CITY GAZETTE
A look at what Charlevoix County high school graduates are doing now that they play college and university sports.
• Amber Way (Charlevoix 2015) and Molly Jeakle (Charlevoix 2012) highlight the area in college sports as top performers for the No. 8 Michigan State University women’s cross country program.
Competing as an unattached athlete, Way finished sixth among 361 competitors at home in MSU Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational with a season-best time of 21 minutes, 15.1 seconds on Sept. 16 in East Lansing.
Representing MSU, Jeakle nabbed 21st with a season-best time of 22:14.1 en route to leading the Spartans to sweep the field of 31 teams.
On Sept. 24, Way secured 48th (22:42.1) and Jeakle collected 137th (23:47.2) among 336 competitors at the 31st annual University of Minnesota Roy Griak Invitational as the Spartans cruised to runner-up among the field of 35 teams on Sept. 24 in Minneapolis.
• Malik Smith (Boyne City 2016) is a 5-foot-9, 215-pound running back for No. 17 Michigan State University, which fell to 2-1 overall after sustaining a 30-6 loss at home to No. 8 University of Wisconsin (4-0) on Sept. 24 in East Lansing.
• Ben Walton (East Jordan 2014) secured an appearance at defensive lineman for Northwood University (0-4) in a 29-24 loss at Northern Michigan University (2-2) on Sept. 24 in Marquette.
For the season, the junior’s compiled three tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss.
• Tanner Kruzel (Boyne City 2016) is a 6-0, 200-pound running back for Northern Michigan University, which resumed competition at Walsh University (0-4) on Sept. 1 in North Canton.
Results were not available at the time of press.
• Dustin Hejka (East Jordan 2014) is a 5-9, 175-pound wide receiver for Hope College, which resumed competition at home against Olivet College (2-1) on Sept. 1 in Holland.
Results were not available at the time of press.
• James Brown (East Jordan 2016) is a 5-10, 151-pound linebacker for Adrian College, which fell to 1-2 overall after sustaining a 44-19 loss at home to the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point (3-0) on Sept. 24 in Adrian.
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Winter Romeyn (Ellsworth 2015) secured the No. 11 performance for No. 22 Michigan State University at home in the MSU Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational by finishing 119th overall on the 8,000-meter course with a time of 26 minutes, 46.3 seconds as the Spartans cruised to sweep the field of 31 teams on Sept. 16 in East Lansing.
• Jonathon Pischner (Charlevoix 2016) captured the No. 1 effort Alpena Community College at the Michigan State University Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational by ending 222nd overall with a time of 28:34.5 as the Lumberjacks clinched 26th among the field.
• Andrew Plude (Charlevoix 2013) returns as a senior for Saginaw Valley State University, which secured seventh among the field at the Michigan State University Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational.
• Nick Plude (Charlevoix 2015) enters his redshirt freshman season for Saginaw Valley State University.
• Dominic Santina (Boyne City 2016) is a freshman for Rochester College, which resumed competition at the Oakland Community College Raider Run on Oct. 1 in Waterford. Results were not available at the time of press.
In Santina’s most recent, he ended 90th at the 30th annual Detroit Mercy University Titan Cross Country Invitational with a time of 24:27.3 on the 4-mile course as an unattached athlete on Sept. 10 in Detroit.
• Tristan Rudolph (Charlevoix 2014) collected the No. 7 effort for Aquinas College at the Grand Rapids Community College Raider Cross Country Invitational by finishing 32nd overall with a time of 28:11.2 on the 8,000-meter course as the Saints cruised to sweep the field of 11 teams on Sept. 23 in Grand Rapids.
• Luke Hawley (East Jordan 2012) returns as a senior for Aquinas College.
• Chandler Novotny (Charlevoix 2013) is a senior for Northwood University, which collected 15th among the field of 25 teams at the NCAA Division II Midwest Fall Regional No. 1 from Sept. 26-27 in Chicago.
• Nick Snabes (Charlevoix 2014) is a junior forward for NCAA Division III Otterbein University, which holds a 5-2-2 overall record after finishing in a 1-1 tie at Oberlin College (7-1-1) on Sept. 28 in Oberlin, Ohio.
• Jenna Way (Charlevoix 2013) contributed a season-high seven digs and one ace at setter for Ferris State University (10-5) in a 3-1 loss at Northwood University (9-5) on Sept. 16 in Midland.
In the senior’s most recent effort, she produced two digs, two aces and one assist in a 3-2 triumph at Lake Erie College (9-6) on Sept. 30 in Painesville, Ohio.
For the season, she’s totaled 19 digs, 12 assists, 11 aces, two kills and one block.
• Paige Podskalny (East Jordan 2014) is a junior for Northwood University, which captured sixth among the field of 19 teams at the Grand Valley State University Gilda’s Club Laker Fall Invitational from Sept. 24-25 in Allendale.
• Kristen Malpass (East Jordan 2015) teamed with Laura Roberts in an 8-1 loss at No. 3 doubles for Lake Superior State University (2-2) in a 9-0 loss at Grand Valley State University (3-1) on Sept. 11 in Allendale. For the year, Malpass has compiled a 0-2 overall record in doubles action.