This special bimonthly Boyne City Gazette feature by Chris Graber highlights the activities of the graduates of Charlevoix County schools who have gone on to compete in sports at the college level.
• Molly Jeakle (Charlevoix 2012) led the No. 6 Michigan State University women’s cross country program to sweep the field of 12 teams in the open race at the University of Wisconsin Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational on Oct. 14 in Madison, Wisconsin.
In the competition, the redshirt senior registered the No.2 effort for the Spartans by placing seventh among 117 athletes with a time of 21 minutes, 29.7 seconds on the 6,000-meter course.
Under Armour sponsored the race.
• Jenna Way (Charlevoix 2013) registered her first double-digit effort of the season in digs at setter for the Ferris State University volleyball program (16-5) in a 3-2 victory at Lewis University (15-5) in the NCAA Division II Midwest Region Crossover by registering 11 on Oct. 15 in Aurora, Illinois.
On Oct. 15, the senior followed by providing three digs and one assist in a 3-1 triumph against Quincy University (11-10).
For the season, she’s compiled 40 digs, 15 assists, 12 aces, one kill and one block.
• Dominic Santina (Boyne City 2016) captured the No. 2 performance for the Rochester College men’s cross country program at the Glen Oaks Community College Cross Country Invitational by finishing placing sixth overall with a time of 31:13 on Sept. 23 in Centreville.
• Malik Smith (Boyne City 2016) is a 5-foot-9, 215-pound running back for Michigan State University, which fell to 2-4 overall after sustaining a 54-40 loss at home to the University of Northwestern (3-3) on Oct. 15 in East Lansing.
• Ben Walton (East Jordan 2014) recorded a season-high three tackles at defensive lineman for Northwood University (1-6) in a 45-7 loss at NCAA Division II No. 11 Ashland University (5-1) on Oct. 8 in Ashland, Ohio.
For the season, the junior’s compiled six tackles.
• Tanner Kruzel (Boyne City 2016) is a 6-0, 200-pound running back for Northern Michigan University, which fell to 3-4 overall after sustaining a 45-23 loss to Ferris State University (5-2) on Oct. 15 in Big Rapids.
• Dustin Hejka (East Jordan 2014) is a 5-9, 175-pound wide receiver for Hope College, which improved to 3-3 overall after nabbing a 25-7 victory at Adrian College (3-3) on Oct. 15 in Adrian.
• James Brown (East Jordan 2016) is a 5-10, 151-pound linebacker for Adrian College.
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Winter Romeyn (Ellsworth 2015) is a sophomore for No. 22 Michigan State University, which clinched 18th among the field of 30 teams at the University of Wisconsin Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational on Oct. 14 in Madison, Wisconsin.
The competition was sponsored by Under Armour.
In his most recent effort, he registered the No. 11 performance for the Spartans at home in the MSU Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational by finishing 119th overall among 410 competitors with a time of 26 minutes, 46.3 seconds on the 8,000-meter course as the Spartans cruised to sweep the field of 31 teams on Sept. 16 in East Lansing.
• Tristan Rudolph (Charlevoix 2014) collected the No. 14 performance for Aquinas College at the Muskegon Community College Jayhawk Invitational by finishing 92nd among 189 competitors with a time of 28:09.86 as the Saints cruised to nab fourth among the field of 17 teams on Oct. 14 in Muskegon.
• Luke Hawley (East Jordan 2012) returns as a senior for Aquinas College.
• Jonathon Pischner (Charlevoix 2016) captured the No. 1 effort for Alpena Community College at the Lansing Community College Cross Country Invitational by clinching 60th overall among 173 competitors with a time of 28:52.3 on the 8,000-meter course en route to leading the Lumberjacks to place 12th among the field of 17 teams on Oct. 7 in Lansing.
• Andrew Plude (Charlevoix 2013) returns as a senior for Saginaw Valley State University, which clinched fifth among the field of 12 teams in the Gold Division at the University of Louisville Greater Louisville Classic on Oct. 1 in Louisville, Kentucky.
• Nick Plude (Charlevoix 2015) enters his redshirt freshman season for Saginaw Valley State University.
• Chandler Novotny (Charlevoix 2013) is a senior for Northwood University, which clinched 19th among the field of the field of 26 teams from Oct. 10-11 in Eureka, Missouri.
• Nick Snabes (Charlevoix 2014) is a junior forward for Otterbein University, which holds a 7-4-3 overall record after clinching a 0-0 tie at home against Heidelberg University (5-7-1) on Oct. 15 in Westerville.
WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Amber Way (Charlevoix 2015) clinched the No. 3 effort for No. 6 Michigan State University at the University of Wisconsin Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational by finishing 106th overall among 205 competitors with a time of 21 minutes, 29.9 seconds on Oct. 14 in Madison, Wisconsin.
Among the field of 31 teams, the Spartans claimed 19th.
Under Amour sponsored the race.
• Paige Podskalny (East Jordan 2014) is a junior for Northwood University, which clinched runner-up among the field of 11 teams at home in the NU Invitational from Oct. 3-4 in Midland.
• Kristen Malpass (East Jordan 2015) finished with a 6-0, 6-1 loss at No. 6 singles for Lake Superior State University (4-7) in a 9-0 loss at Wayne State University (5-5) on Oct. 9 in Detroit.
For the season, the sophomore’s compiled a 0-2 overall record in doubles action and a 0-1 mark in singles play.