Shootout: Boyne Falls shooting leaves Charlevoix Sheriff Deputy & suspect hospitalized

hasty banner

Benjamin Gohs

News Editor

Charlevoix County Sheriff Deputy Cpl. Fred Hasty was shot in the line of duty on Saturday May 16 in Boyne Valley Township.

According to Charlevoix County Sheriff reports, Hasty is currently recovering from a gunshot wound he received during a shootout with a suspect around 6 p.m. on Saturday.

“Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Deputies were conducting an investigation into a stolen pick-up truck from Boyne City,” stated Charlevoix County Sheriff W. Don Schneider in a May 16 press release. “The stolen vehicle was found on Addis Road in Boyne Valley Township. Cpl. Fred Hasty, an evidence technician, was processing the vehicle when another deputy spotted the suspect in a second vehicle.

The suspect refused to stop and pursuit was engaged.”
He further stated, “The car was eventually stopped on a two-track on Addis Road. The suspect refused to get out of the vehicle. At that time, it was noted the suspect was armed. The suspect subsequently fired his weapon at Cpl. Hasty, wounding him. Cpl. Hasty and other officers returned fire wounding the suspect.”

According to Schneider, both Cpl. Hasty and the suspect were transported to McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital.

The sheriff reported that Hasty underwent a nearly two-hour surgery to repair the damage incurred.

“Even though the wound was not life-threatening, damage was extensive, which will take several months to recover,” Schneider stated, adding that he was humbled by the outpouring of concern and prayers from both the community and fellow law enforcement officers.

Charlevoix County Undersheriff Chuck Vondra gave the Boyne City Gazette a brief update on the matter on Monday May 18, just before the Boyne City Gazette’s May 20 edition went to press.

“He was shot in the hip and had surgery at Munson,” Vondra said. “He and the suspect were both taken to Petoskey that night and then Freddie (Hasty) was taken down there—not because it was life-threatening—but because there was a very skilled surgeon who specializes in this sort of thing down there.”

According to Vondra, Hasty worked for the Boyne City Police Department for roughly four years before coming to work with the Charlevoix County Sheriff’s Office for the last six years.

“He’s in good spirits,” Vondra said. “We went and saw him yesterday in the morning, the sheriff and I did, and he was alright. I think he got out of surgery around five-ish and we were there at 9:30 or 10 a.m.”

The sheriff has turned the matter over to the Michigan State Police for investigation.

“At the end of the day, we’re just thankful all of the officers are OK,” said Vondra. “They did a good job at getting the suspect and everybody is going to make it—that’s the most important thing.”
He added, “As bad as this was, we’re not planning a funeral. You can put a smile on your face because we’re not planning a funeral.”

Vondra said he does not remember an officer being shot during his tenure with the sheriff’s office.

Though little information regarding the suspect has been released, Vondra did say the suspect received multiple gunshot wounds.

Schneider commended all the officers involved for their bravery.