The 8th annual Boyne City “Earlier Than The Bird” holiday shopping event will be from 7 to 11 a.m. on Saturday Nov. 21.
Dozens of downtown merchants invite customers in for free treats and early holiday specials.
“This event is like Boyne City’s Black Friday. Some of the stores have long lines of customers waiting to pay for their purchases, and the crazy thing is that this is happening shortly after 7 in the morning,” said Boyne Area Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Jim Baumann. “That’s because a number of places have 25 percent off or more store-wide. There really are some great bargains being offered.”
He added, “The other thing that’s fun is that everyone is wearing bathrobes and/or pajamas. They get a free souvenir coffee mug if they do, and some stores give you better deals if you do. All of the stores also have breakfast treats for the shoppers, so it’s very festive.”
According to Baumann, Karen Guzniczak of Country Now & Then/Up The Lazy River brought the Earlier Than the Bird idea back to Boyne City in 2008 after she heard about it while attending a National Main Street Conference in Chicago.
Specials good 7-11 a.m. unless otherwise stated.
Shoppers wearing pajamas get a special gift of an Earlier Than The Bird coffee mug (pictured) at the chamber. Sweats & workout clothes do not count as pajamas.
More information at (231) 582-6222 or boynechamber.com
Pick up a free copy of the Boyne Holiday Guide at locations all over Charlevoix County this week for the full list of participating Earlier Than The Bird stores and more holiday events.
• 52 Weekends, 101 Water Street — The first 30 people wearing pajamas receive a free insulated holiday tumbler and Natural Life shopping bag with any purchase. 30% to 75% off all fall clothing. BOGO – fleece slippers, chance to enter to win our gift basket. Fresh baked goods and beverages.
• Alpine Chocolat Haus, One Water St. — 25% off everything in the store.
• Boyne Arts Collective, 214 Water St. —The gallery will have a sale featuring artwork for $25 or less.
• Boyne Farmers Market, Library Red Barn — Opens 9 a.m. First 15 customers get gifts of market goods.
• Boyne Co-Op True Value, 113 S. Park St. — Stormy Kromer Caps – BOGO at 50% off. Also 10% off all Husqvarna Snow Throwers from 8 a.m.-11 a.m.
• Boyne Trading Company, 109 Water St. — 7-8 a.m. 50% off storewide. 8-9a.m. – 40% off storewide. 9-11 a.m. – 30% off storewide. Some exclusions. Sweet treats for all shoppers.
• Cafe Santé, One Water Street — Wear pajamas (not sweats or workout clothes) OR show a receipt dated 11/21/15 from an “Earlier than the Bird” participating merchant from 8 to 11 a.m. and get 10% off your breakfast/lunch bill. Also $100 = $110. For every $100 worth of Magnum Hospitality gift certificates, receive an additional $10 bonus certificate. (Cannot be redeemed day of purchase)
• Cindifranco’s Cool Stuff, 309 S. Lake St. — Serving our fabulous oatmeal with fixings bar. The earlier you shop, the larger the discount.
• Country Now & Then / Up The Lazy River, 211 E. Water St. — Wear your pajamas to take advantage of these specials. 7 to 8 a.m. 25% off most items, 8 to 9 a.m. 20% off most items, 9 to 11 a.m. 15% off most items. Serving beverages and breakfast treats. While shopping, fill out your Christmas Wish List.
• Grain Train, 104 S. Park St. — 25% Off from 7-8 a.m., 20% Off from 8-9 a.m., 15% Off from 9-10 a.m., 10% Off from 10-11 a.m.
• I Love Boyne City Store, 101 Water St. — 10% off any item in the store.
• Inspired Living, 119 Water St. — First 25 people wearing pajamas get 50% off any single item in-store. Anyone shopping in pajamas gets the following discounts: 7- 8 a.m. ~ 25% off all purchases, 8:01-9 a.m.~ 20% off, 9:01-noon ~ 15% off
We will also have homemade Earl Grey Almond Biscottis, Teecinno Herbal Coffee and Mimosas for everyone to enjoy. Anyone who brings their inspired living H.I.P. bag with them will also receive a special gift.
• Johan’s Breadbox Bakery, 110 S. Lake St. — Cup of coffee and a pastry $2.50.
• Kilwin’s Chocolates of Boyne City, 102 E. Water St. — Buy one slice of fudge, get one free (equal/lesser value). All other items 25% off 7-11 a. m. Special treats of cornflake clusters and chocolate-covered Rice Krispies treats and samples of Kilwin’s real Hot Chocolate.
• Peninsula Boutique, 209 S. Lake St. — 25% off store wide 7-8 a.m., 10% off sweaters 8 to 9 a.m., 10% off jewelry 9-10 a.m., 10% off dresses 10-11 a.m.
• Local Flavor Bookstore, 125 Water Street — 7-8 a.m. 40% off used books, 20% off new BOOKS, 20% off bulk coffee. 8-9 a.m. 30% off used, 15% off new, 15% off bulk coffee. 9-10 a.m. 20% off used, 10% off new, 10% off bulk coffee. 10-11 a.m. 10% off used, 5% off new, 5% off bulk coffee. Special book signing and discount. New Pumpkin Smoothies, Maple Cream Lattes and more!
• Mary’s Of Boyne, 108 S. Lake St. — Come in your PJ’s, receive 30% off from 7-8, from 8-11 25% off, remainder of the day 20% off. More specials & info in-store
• Parkside Grill & Treats, 201 Water Street — 10% off any ice cream item 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Smitten Designs, 118 Water St. — 30% off 7-9 a.m. if wearing PJs. 20% off 7 a.m. to closing if not wearing PJs. Spend $50 to be entered in a drawing for a free necklace.
• Subway, 114 Water St. — Free drink with breakfast sandwich until 11 a.m.
• The Birds Nest, 112 Water St. — 7-11 a.m. cashmere scarves $22, 8-9 a.m. socks 25% off, 9-10 a.m. sweaters 20% off, 10-11 a.m. camisoles 15% off.
• Wine Emporium & Market,123 Water St. — Complimentary Quiche Lorraine and coffee. 15% off wine and 25% off accessories 7-8 a.m., then 10% off wine 20% off accessories 8 to 11 a.m.