The Health Department of Northwest Michigan is offering immunization clinics throughout the region to help local communities prepare for this flu season.
Dr. Joshua Meyerson, Medical Director for the Health Department of Northwest Michigan, urges everyone six months of age and older to get vaccinated for the seasonal flu. He said not nearly enough people in Northern Michigan receive the vaccine.
“Not only does vaccination prevent influenza and related complications, it can also save lives,” said Meyerson, who noted that young children and older adults may be more vulnerable. “Everyone should be vaccinated to prevent the spread of illness.”
The vaccine, which offers protection through the entire flu season, is available in two forms: the flu shot or nasal-spray.
The shot is approved for everyone ages six months and older, whereas the nasal -spray is approved for healthy individuals 2-49 years old who are not pregnant.
Those interested in the vaccine should contact their physician or the Health Department.
Cost for seasonal flu vaccination at the Health Department is $30.
Medicaid and Medicare are accepted, as well as private insurance, or clients may pay by cash or check.
Appointments are required to participate in any of the upcoming clinics, which include the following:
• Bellaire Senior Center, Oct. 6
• Charlevoix Senior Center, Oct. 7
• Mancelona Senior Center, Oct. 8
• Sacred Heart Church, Elk Rapids, Oct. 9
• Antrim County Building, Oct. 9
• American House, Charlevoix, Oct. 12
• American House, Petoskey, Oct. 12
• Boyne Area Senior Center, Oct. 13
• Perry Farm Village Harbor Springs, Oct. 19
• Pellston Senior Center, Oct. 20
• St. Anthony, Mackinaw City, Oct. 20
• Petoskey Middle School, Oct. 21
More info at nwhealth.org
The Health Department also offers additional vaccines, such as those for pertussis (whooping cough), measles, meningitis, and tetanus. Immunization clinics are held regularly at its offices in Bellaire, Mancelona, Charlevoix, Petoskey/Harbor Springs, and Gaylord.
Call the Health Department at (800) 432-4121 to schedule an appointment.