BY CHRIS GRABER, SPECIAL TO THE BOYNE CITY GAZETTE
The Charlevoix County Sports Digest is an exclusive feature which appears twice monthly in the pages of the Boyne City Gazette.
This unique sports round-up looks at the performance and stats of Charlevoix County graduates who now play sports a the college level.
• Molly Jeakle (Charlevoix 2012) opened the cross country season by capturing the No. 2 performance for the Michigan State University women’s cross country program at the 30th annual Jeff Drenth Memorial Race by placing fifth on the 5,000-meter course with a time of 18 minutes, 29.88 seconds on Sept. 4 in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.
The meet was not scored.
• Jenna Way (Charlevoix 2013) recored a season-high 15 assists and two digs as a setter for the Ferris State University volleyball program (2-0) in a 3-1 victory at home against Missouri Western State University (6-2) on Sept. 4 in Big Rapids.
For the season, the junior’s compiled 35 assists, 10 digs and one kill.
• Luke Hawley (East Jordan 2012) will return for his senior season as a member of the Aquinas College men’s program, which opened with an eight-place finish among the field of 28 teams at the Calvin Knight Invitational on Sept. 12 in Grand Rapids.
Hawley did not compete.
For his career, he has competed at three NAIA track and field national championship meets.
• Ben Walton (East Jordan 2014) entered his redshirt freshman season as a 6-foot, 250-pound defensive lineman for Northwood University, which opened with a 20-0 victory at home against Northern Michigan University (1-1) on Sept. 5 in Midland.
On Sept. 12, NU (1-1) followed by sustaining a 40-3 loss at Ferris State University (1-0) in Big Rapids.
• Kolbi Shumaker (Boyne City 2012) opened the season by contributing five tackles as a starting defensive back for Alma College (1-1) in a 43-0 sweep of Finlandia University (0-2) on Sept. 5 in Hancock.
In the competition, the senior added 30 yards from four punt returns.
On Sept. 12, he followed by recording two tackles and totaling 27 yards from two kick returns in a 49-14 loss to Illinois Wesleyan University (2-0) in Bloomington, Illinois.
For the season, he’s compiled seven tackles and one pass breakup complemented with 57 total yards from returns.
• Tanner Catt (Charlevoix 2013) returns as a 5-10, 155-pound safety for Hope College, which opened the season with a 31-19 loss at home to Monmouth College (0-2) on Sept. 5 in Holland, Michigan.
On Sept. 12, HC (0-2) followed by sustaining a 13-7 loss at Elmhurst College (2-0) in Elmhurst, Illinois.
• Dustin Hejka (East Jordan 2014) entered his sophomore season as a 5-9, 150-pound wide receiver for Hope College.
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Andrew Plude (Charlevoix 2013) captured the No. 7 performance for Saginaw Valley State University in a 19-38 loss to Hillsdale College at the Hillsdale Invitational by placing 14th on the 6,000-meter course with a time of 18 minutes, 42.03 seconds on Sept. 4 in Hillsdale.
• Nick Plude (Charlevoix 2015) entered his freshman season for Saginaw Valley State University.
• Gabe Hawley (East Jordan 2015) opened his collegiate running career by collecting the No. 20 performance for Calvin College at home at the Calvin Knight Invitational by finishing 168th on the 8,000-meter course with a time of 27:48.3 on Sept. 12 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Among the field of 28 teams, the Knights secured victory.
• Tristan Ruldoph (Charlevoix 2014) clinched the No. 12 performance for Aquinas College at the Calvin Knight Invitational by ending 183rd with a time 28:03.
Among the field, the Saints collected eighth.
• Chandler Novotny (Charlevoix 2013) enters his redshirt-junior season for Northwood University, which will open at the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Invitational from Sept. 19-20 in South Haven.
• Nick Snabes (Charlevoix 2014) returned as a sophomore forward for Otterbein University, which improved to 1-3-1 overall after collecting a 3-1 victory at home against Ohio Christian University (1-2) on Sept. 12 in Westerville.
• Erin Baker (Boyne City 2014) has competed in one set for Concordia University of Ann Arbor, which is 10-5 overall after sustaining a 3-0 loss in its most recent competition to Madonna University (11-3) on Sept. 12 in Livonia.
• Paige Podskalny (East Jordan 2014) entered her sophomore season for Northwood University, which opened the season with a 13th-place finish at the University of Indianapolis Fall Invitational from Sept. 14-15 in Carmel, Indiana.