Charlevoix County College Sports Digest
Special to the Boyne Gazette
- Luke Hawley (East Jordan 2012) captured All-American recognition for the second-consecutive year at the NAIA Indoor Track and Field Championships by finishing eighth with the 4,000-meter distance medley relay for Aquinas College with a time of 10 minutes, 11.54 seconds from March 5-7 in Geneva, Ohio.
Among the field of 53 teams, the Saints clinched 41st.
Last season, Hawley clinched runner-up with the 4×800-meter relay at the indoor track and field national championships to clinch his first All-American honor.
From March 27-28, the junior will resume competition in the outdoor track and field season at the Grand Rapids Open in Grand Rapids.
- Emily Veenstra (Ellsworth 2012) secured an eighth-place finish in the weight throw at the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships with a launch of 41 feet, 0.5 inches en route to leading Calvin College to victory among the field of seven teams on Feb. 28 in Angola, Indiana.
From March 20-21, the Knights will enter the outdoor track and field season at the Emory Invitational in Atlanta.
- Collin Hewitt (Harbor Light Christian 2011) completed his senior season as a forward for Spring Arbor University by leading the Cougars to finish 13-8 overall and 4-14 in Crossroads League play by totaling 7.4 points per game and 2.1 rebounds per game.
- Josh Puroll (Boyne Falls 2012) concluded his junior year as a forward for Lawrence Technological University, which finished 5-25 overall and 2-10 in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference play.
For the season, he tallied 1.5 points per game and 1.2 rebounds per game.
- Wyatt Drost (Charlevoix 2011) will open the spring portion of the season at the Saginaw Valley State University Spring Invitational for SVSU from March 21-22 in Florence, Kentucky.
Overall, the senior has compiled an illustrious career for the Cardinals.
In 2013, he captured medalist honors at the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Golf Championships and secured a berth to the NCAA Division II Golf Championships.
TRACK AND FIELD
- Eric Buday (Charlevoix 2011) completed his junior season as a distance runner for Michigan State University, which ended ninth among the field of 12 teams at the Big Ten Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships from Feb. 27-28 in Geneva, Ohio.
For his career, he’s compiled personal-efforts in the 1,500-meter run and 800-meter run of 4 minutes, 2.09 seconds and 1:54.67, respectively.
From Feb. 27-28, the Spartans will resume competition in the outdoor track and field season at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Andrew Plude (Charlevoix 2012) concluded the season with a personal-best time in the mile of 4:39.23 for Saginaw Valley State University, which will open the outdoor track and field season in a dual meet at Grand Valley State University on March 28 in Allendale.
- Tevin Larmond (Boyne City 2013) finished his sophomore season as a sprinter Spring Arbor University, which opened the outdoor track and field season at the Coastal Carolina Invitational from March 13-14 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Results were not available at the time of press.
TRACK AND FIELD
- Kylie Hicks (Boyne City 2014) finished 14th in the 400-meter dash at the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships with a time of 59.03 seconds for Grand Valley State University from Feb. 28-March 1 in University Center.
Among the field of 13 teams, the Lakers captured victory.
For the season, Hicks produced a personal-best effort in the 400-meter dash of 58.75 seconds.
From March 28-29, the Lakers will resume competition during the outdoor track and field season at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Tanner McCune (Boyne City 2012) concluded her junior season as a guard for Concordia University of Ann Arbor, which ended 6-24 overall and 5-17 in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference play.
For the season, she totaled 3.2 points per game, 1.4 assists per game and 1.2 rebounds per game.
- Mary Myers (Boyne City 2013) collected a season-high 11 rebounds, six points and one assist as a starting forward for Alpena Community College (2-19, 1-12 Michigan Community College Athletic Association) in an 86-67 victory at home against Henry Ford College (8-19, 2-14 Michigan Community College Athletic Association) on Feb. 25 in Alpena. For the season, the sophomore’s compiled four points per game and 3.9 rebounds per game.
TRACK AND FIELD
- Molly Jeakle (Charlevoix 2012) completed her junior season as a distance runner for Michigan State University, which finished fifth among the field of 13 teams at the Big Ten Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships from Feb. 27-28 in Geneva, Ohio.
For her career, she’s totaled personal-best efforts in the 1,500-meter run and 800-meter run of 4 minutes, 33.29 seconds and 2:18.56, respectively.
- Kaleigh Beard (East Jordan 2012) finished her junior season as a thrower for Spring Arbor University, which placed 11th among the field of 21 teams at the National Christian College Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships from Feb. 20-21 in Cedarville, Ohio.
For the season, she posted personal-best efforts in the weight throw and shot put of 30 feet, 2.25 inches and 27-4.75, respectively.