Boyne Outfitters at Boyne Mountain Resort is hosting the second annual Michigan Fly Fishing Festival on Saturday July 12.
The festival brings together fly fishing vendors with complimentary casting clinics and guest speakers, fly fishing and casting competitions, a barbeque, and live music.
Festival goers can browse gear and talk with representatives from several premier fly fishing manufacturers and vendors from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday.
The vendors, located in the day skier lot near the Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa, feature rods, reels, flies, clothing, art, tools, and much more.
• Event goers can listen in at 11:15 a.m. when Boyne Outfitters’ Director of Operations, Ethan Winchester, shares information and tips about fly fishing in Michigan’s Tip of the Mitt.
• At 2:15 p.m., Glen Blackwood of Great Lakes Fly Fishing Co. leads a discussion on fly casting fundamentals for fiberglass and bamboo rods.
• At the tying bench, Tommy Lynch from The Fish Whisperer Guide Service showcases his signature fly patterns.
• A Trout Pond Single Fly competition takes place from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa pond.
Entry is $5 and the angler with the most inches caught in one hour from a single fly wins a fly fishing gift.
• Also at the pond, the Casting for Conservation competition is scheduled for 3 to 5 p.m. with all proceeds benefitting the Miller-Van Winkle Chapter of Trout Unlimited.
The competition is $10 per person, and the winner takes home a $50 gift card from Boyne Outfitters.
Complimentary casting clinics are scheduled throughout the day, and guests can also enjoy food, beer and music.
Admission to the Michigan Fly Fishing Festival is $10 for adults, and free for children ages 16 and under.
For a complete list of vendors and more information, go to boyneoutfitters.com or call (231) 549-6064.