By Chris Graber
• Luke Hawley (East Jordan 2012) nabbed qualification to the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Indoor Track and Field Championships in the 800 and with the 4×800 for Acquinas College in recent competitions.
On Jan. 25, the sophomore garnered first with the 4×800 (7 minutes, 53.03 seconds) at the Findlay Indoor Track Classic en route to the relay gaining the No. 1 performance in the event among the NAIA in Findlay, Ohio.
In the competition, he added a fourth place finish in the 1,000 (2:35.01).
On Jan. 17, he posted provisional qualification to the indoor championships after recording a personal record to place fifth in the 800 (1:55.81) at the Mike Lints Alumni Open on Jan. 17 in Allendale.
Among the NAIA, he tallies the No. 12 performance in the 800.
On Jan. 31, AC resumed competition at the Trine Invitational in Angola, Ind.
• Alex Cannon (Petoskey 2010) contributed a 3-0 record in the 165-pound weight class for Wesleyan College at the New England Wrestling Association Duals on Jan. 26 in Bridgewater, Mass.
The Charlevoix native opened competition by leading WC to a 33-18 victory against Southern Maine by tallying a pin against Robert Drover at the 5:30 mark of the match.
Cannon added a 9-0 triumph by major decision against Austin Brais of Worcester Polytechnic Institute and a 3-2 win by decision against Ben Green of United States Coast Guard Academy.
WC suffered a 29-13 loss against WPI and followed with a 31-9 victory against USCGA.
On Feb. 1, WC competed against Springfield College in Clifton Park, N.Y.
• Tanner McCune (East Jordan 2012) collected a game-high 22 points, six rebounds and three steals for Oakland Community College (3-16, 2-6 Michigan Community College Athletic Association in a 70-63 loss at home against Mott Community College (10-8, 5-4 MCCAA) on Jan. 18 in Auburn Hills.
In her most recent contest, the 5’8″ guard nabbed a game-high 15 points, five rebounds and three assists in an 80-56 loss at Wayne County Community College (3-9, 2-4 MCCAA) on Jan. 25 in Detroit.
On Jan. 22, the sophomore provided 14 points and seven rebounds in a 72-56 loss at home against Macomb Community College (14-2, 7-1 MCCAA).
On Jan. 20, she produced 14 points and five rebounds in a 92-55 Loss at Delta College (15-4, 7-2 MCCAA) in University Center.
On Jan. 15, she tallied a game-high eight assists and eight points in an 81-67 victory at home against Henry Ford Community College (1-13, 0-7 MCCAA) in Auburn Hills.
For the season, she totals 13.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg and 2.1 apg.
• Jay Redman (Boyne City 2012) collected eight points and one rebound for Lawrence Tech (4-18, 2-12 Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference) in a 61-47 loss at Indiana Tech (13-8, 8-5 WHAC) on Jan. 18 in Fort Wayne, Ind.
On Jan. 22, the 6’4″ guard added seven points, five assists and two rebounds in a 67-65 loss at Marygrove College (2-20, 1-13 WHAC) in Detroit.
In his most recent contest, the sophomore followed with four points, one rebound and one steal in a 74-52 loss at home against Northwestern Ohio (14-6, 10-4 WHAC) on Jan. 25 in Southfield, Ohio.
For the season, he tallies 6.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg and 1.9 apg.
• Josh Puroll (Boyne Falls 2012) added eight points, three rebounds and one assist for LTU against UNOH.
For the year, the 6’4″ forward compiles 3.3 ppg and 3.2 rpg.
On Jan. 29, the Blue Devils will resume competition at home against No. 13 Davenport (17-5, 10-4 WHAC), who ranks among the NAIA Div. II Top 25 by the Coaches’ Poll released on Jan. 21.
• Collin Hewitt (Harbor Light Christian 2011) contributed six points, one rebound and one assist for Spring Arbor (10-12, 5-5 Crossroads League) in a 66-62 loss at home against St. Francis (16-6, 8-2 Crossroads) on Jan. 14 in Spring Arbor.
On Jan. 21, the 5’11″ guard followed with four points in a 76-62 loss at Marian (10-4, 6-3 Crossroads) in Indianapolis.
On Jan. 25, the junior added two steals and one point in a 77-57 thrashing at home of Goshen College (4-17, 1-7 Crossroads).
For the season, he tallies 2.0 ppg and 0.7 rpg.
On Feb. 1, SAU will host Bethel College (17-5, 6-4 Crossroads).
MENS INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD
Eric Buday (Charlevoix 2011) set a personal best en route to placing eighth in the 800 (1:54.85) at the Notre Dame Invitational for Michigan State on Jan. 25 in Notre Dame, Ind.
On Feb. 1, MSU resume competition against Michigan in Allendale.
• Emily Veenstra (Ellsworth 2012) produced two points, one rebound and one assist for Calvin College (11-5, 6-1 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) in a 95-68 trouncing of St. Mary’s College (5-12, 3-5 MIAA) on Jan. 15 in Notre Dame, Ind.
For the year, the 5’7″ guard tallies 1.4 ppg and 0.5 rpg.
• Mary Myers (Boyne City 2013) provided three rebounds, two points and one steal for Alpena Community College (4-11, 1-4 MCCAA) in a 76-52 loss at Schoolcraft College (7-11, 3-5 MCCAA) on Jan. 15 in Livonia.
For the season, the 5’9″ guard contributes 2.1 rpg and 1.8 ppg.
WOMENS INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
• Molly Jeakle (Charlevoix 2012) clinched sixth in the 800 (2:17.53) at the Notre Dame Invitational for Michigan State on Jan. 25 in Notre Dame, Ind.
On Feb. 1, MSU will face Michigan in Allendale.