Charlevoix County Board meets Wednesday Nov. 13; employee healthcare co-pays top agenda

county government headerA significant change proposed in the medical insurance co-pays of county employees, a DHS grant opportunity for the prosecutor’s office and committee appointments for Jordan River oversight are among the business to be handled by The Charlevoix County Board this week.

The Charlevoix County Board of Commissioners will meet at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday Nov. 13 at the Charlevoix County Building for its regular bimonthly meeting. Following are items of business that the public may wish to be present to learn more about and opine on.

Item:

Senior center computer donation

Brief:

The Charlevoix County Commission On Aging bought five computers in January 2009 for approximately $3,500; two of the computers were intended for staff use, the remaining three were used for computer classes at the Boyne Area Senior Center.

Resolution:

The Charlevoix County Commission On Aging no longer operates a computer class and wishes to donate all five computers to the Boyne Area Senior Center. It is the recommendation of the Charlevoix County IT Committee that the computers be cleaned up and given to the Boyne Area Senior Center with the understanding that the commission on aging will no longer service the computers—they will be the sole responsibility of the Boyne Area Senior Center.

Item:

Health insurance co-pay

Brief:

Charlevoix County changed the way it funds health insurance for its employees several years ago, moving to a Simply Blue Health Savings Account. The premiums on this insurance plan will experience a “substantial” increase for 2014, according to Charlevoix County officials, and changes must be made.

Resolution:

The county has paid the entire premium for all eligible active employees and their families hired prior to Jan. 1, 2005 along with 60 percent of the monthly premium for the dependents of those employees hired after Dec. 31, 2004, the employees hired after Dec. 31, 2004 have been responsible for the remaining 40 percent of the monthly premium.

Due to the substantial increase in the Health Savings Account premiums for 2014, the Charlevoix County Committee of the Whole recommends that all eligible active employees pay 20 percent of the monthly premium only.

This will change the formula of all eligible active employees hired after 2004 to the same payment of 20 percent of the entire monthly premium instead of 40 percent of the cost of their dependents.

This will not change the deductible and co-insurance payment for each employee that is currently receiving this benefit paid by the county.

The Charlevoix County Board proposes to make the changes in employee co-pays for all eligible active employees effective with the first full payment in January 2014.

Item:

DHS prosecution grant

Brief:

The Department of Human Services has awarded a $23,643 grant to the Charlevoix County Prosecuting Attorney’s office to help supply legal representation to DHS and/or their designee in court proceedings regarding the abuse and/or neglect of children.

The prosecuting attorney’s office already represents the victims of abuse and neglect cases, and this will help fund operations in the office.

Motion:

Accept the grant, which is expected to fund five months worth of work. The grant may be renewed at the discretion of the Department of Human Services for up to two one-year periods.

Item:

Jordan River Board representatives

Brief:

The Michigan Fisheries Division of the Department of Natural Resources has contacted the Charlevoix County Board of Commissioners regarding its county representatives on the State Zoning Review Board, which oversees requests to for special exceptions and variances from the Natural River zoning standards.

Action:

The state requests that the county board either reaffirm its current members—Larry Sullivan and Randy Frykberg; alternate member Vic Patrick—or appoint new members.

Related Articles